Licensure for Active Duty Military, Military Spouses or Veterans


  1. “Military Service Member” means a person who is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States, in a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the National Guard, or in the state military service of any state.
  2. “Military Spouse” means a person who is married to a military service member who is currently on active duty.
  3. “Military Veteran” means a person who has served in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States, or in an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces.

General Qualifications

  1. Dental hygienists must be at least 18 years of age. 
  2. Be of good moral character and professional fitness, which is demonstrated by patterns of personal, academic and occupational behaviors, including final or pending disciplinary action on any occupational license in any jurisdiction, which, in the judgment of the TSBDE, indicate honesty, accountability, trustworthiness, reliability, integrity, and ability.
  3. Pay all required fees.  (Fingerprint Criminal Background Check and Jurisprudence Assessment)
  4. Submit an application for licensure.
  5. Provide information and documents as requested by the TSBDE.

Application and Supporting Document Requirements

Attention Military Spouses holding an Expired Texas License:  The TSBDE may allow a military spouse who within the five years preceding the application date held a license in this state that expired while the applicant lived outside this state for at least six months, to demonstrate competency by alternative methods in order to meet the requirements for obtaining a license issued by the TSBDE.  If this applies to you please contact the TSBDE before applying for a license to learn about alternative methods of demonstrating competency for a license.

All other applicants must mail the following documents to the TSBDE:

  1. Application for Licensure by Examination.
  2. There is no application fee for military active duty, retirees and military spouses.
  3. Official school transcript showing proof of graduation from a Commission on Dental Accreditation-accredited (CODA) dental hygiene school.  Copies must be notarized.
  4. Proof of completion of a general dentistry clinical examination administered by a regional clinical examining board dated within 5 years from the date of examination.  Copies must be notarized. Click here for a list of regional clinical examining boards recognized by the TSBDE.
  5. Proof of completion of National Boards Parts I and II.
  6. Proof of completion of TSBDE Jurisprudence Assessment within one year immediately prior to application.  Fee required. (Fee Required)
  7. Receipt showing you passed a fingerprint criminal records check.  (Fee required) 
  8. National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) Self-Query.  All applicants are required to complete a self-query of the NPDB.  The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE.  NPDB self-query reports are valid for 30 days. NPDB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information. You can contact the NPDB at Post Office Box 10832, Chantilly, VA 22021, telephone number (800) 767-6732, or website
  9. American Association of Dental Boards (AADB) Clearinghouse Self-Query.  Applicants are required to complete a self-query of the AADB Clearinghouse.  The report results must remain in the original sealed envelope and be attached to your application to the TSBDE.   AADB charges a minimal fee to furnish this information.  The AADB self-query form can be downloaded from the AADB website at  The AADB self-query form should be mailed to:  American Association of Dental Boards, 211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 760, Chicago, IL 60611.  The AADB telephone number is (312) 440-7464.
  10. A Verification of Licensure, with a raised seal, issued by a board of dental examiners in all states where the applicant has ever been licensed, or is currently licensed, to practice dentistry or dental hygiene.  This only applies to dental professionals who have held a license in another state/jurisdiction.  
  11. Proof of current Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
  12. Copy of birth certificate, naturalization papers, or passport showing date of birth.
  13. Copy of Social Security Card.
  14. Proof of Military status.  This can include one of the following:  Copy of Military Orders, Military I.D. Card or a document showing proof of Honorable or General discharge.  
  15. Proof of completion of 12 hours of Continuing Education (CE) completed within the 12 months preceding application for licensure.  CE must be completed in accordance with TSBDE Rule 104.2

2-Step Application and Payment Process

Step 1.  Apply for your License by Mail.  

All applicants must mail a copy of their application and required documents to the TSBDE.

Step 2.  Receiving Your License.  

  1. Your license will be printed and mailed to you immediately after your application has been approved.
  2. Your first license may be valid anywhere between 6 months to 17 months.  You will receive a reminder post card approximately 45 days prior to your license expiration date.

Additional Information

  1. Change of Address.  Licensees are required to notify the TSBDE within 60 days of a change in address.
  2. Continuing Education.  New licensees are exempt from completing CE during their first licensure period.  After the first license is renewed licensees should begin collecting CE.
  3. CPR Requirement.  CPR Courses must include a hands-on demonstration of skills by the applicant on a manikin and a written assessment of skills.
  4. Foreign Language Documents.  All documents issued in a foreign language must be translated to English.

Dental Hygiene Licensure by Examination Application